Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Paris v Lynchburg

I am loving it here, more than I even expected. The transition was easier than I thought, my French is much better than I thought, and I've already made some friends! However, I have been compiling a short list of things I prefer in the US. 

1. THE BREAKFASTS
Here, breakfast consists of a chunk of a baguette, a bit of jam, and coffee/tea. To me, that constitutes a snack. And when I have a busy day ahead, that doesn't give me enough fuel to make it to lunch. I can not wait for pancakes, scrambled eggs, biscuits.... I'm making myself so hungry!

2. THE PEOPLE
The Parisians (and I'm not speaking of all French folks here, just like New Yorkers don't represent all Americans, Parisians don't represent the French well) are a cold, unwelcoming bunch of people. Even my poli sci professor has told the class that it's just their nature. You will never see a Parisian approach a frazzled person holding a map and offer to help navigate. And for example, yesterday, there was a girl who was sitting on the metro, crying, and everyone ignored her. Not a single person looked her way or asked if she was ok. Also, you can't look people in the eyes. And you certainly can not look someone in the eyes and smile. People would think a. you're crazy (if they're women) or b. you're coming on to them (for guys), and you'd guarantee yourself a stalker.  It's just odd being somewhere where the people are so distanced from each other, I think I prefer the LC campus where I smile and say hi to everyone!

3. THE WEATHER
Gray doesn't begin to describe it. I've only been able to see the Eiffel Tower and the Montparnasse Tower (HUGE skyscraper) twice since I've been here. It's been that hazy and cloudy. Also, like 90% humidity. No exaggeration. Sorry I keep bringing it up, but it's putting a bit of a damper on my mood.

And obviously, I wish you were all here with me to share this experience :)

No comments:

Post a Comment